Home additions are investment. Thus, it should be planned well. Most owners prefer to hire a remodeling contractor to do this, but if you want to personally facilitate the planning, costing and building stage of the addition, here are the steps on how to make a home addition successfully.
1. Know your budget and what it includes. Your home addition should respect your budget or else, your pocket will get drained. All phases, materials and labor cost should be computed and budgeted. Take note, the budget should be realistic according to the addition.
2. You must have a secure fund. You can have this in cash or through a loan. This should be prepared to guarantee that the project will really be finished and to prevent delays due to finances.
3. Hire a contractor. This is one of the most important steps since the contractors you hire will be the one to build you addition. Find a reliable and contractor that you can get along so well. You can ask for recommendations from your family and friends to make sure you hire a good one. Take time to have some meeting for planning and proposals to discuss the project and its time-frame.
4. Hire an architect. If your contractor has an in-house contractor well, but if there is none hire one. Architects will customize the design of your addition and will work hand in hand with the contractor.
5. Process and get your permit. This is usually done by the contractors as a package to their services but it will not hurt if you ask this in due diligence. This is posted in visible spots of the property. Then they will prepare the site, they will demolish or remove what is needed to start with the addition.
6. Start building the foundation. Depending on the design and plan, home additions Des Moines are like new houses where it needs a full-scale foundation. This starts by pouring concrete slab then concrete footers and walls.
7. Framing the structure really quick. After the foundation is cured and dried, the framing starts. Framing the structure is fairly quick, in a couple of days; you can almost see how your project looks like.
8. Installation of the sheaths, roof, windows and doors. These parts are simultaneously done. Roofing and wall sheathing come first to wrap the house. Then, it is dried in by installing the doors and windows.
9. Put up the behind the scenes elements. This includes the pipes, electrical wiring and ductwork. Different technicians will be working like plumbers and electricians. Then it will be validated by the city inspectors if they have installed it according to the codes.
10. This is the last part, adding the drywall and the finishing. Dry walling starts with hanging the sheets the fixing the seams through mudding. When it is already dry, they can start with the sanding to finish the drywall. Finishing is done both in the interior and exterior. Interior finishing includes the installation of fixtures, cabinets and ceilings while the exterior includes the painting or fencing if necessary.